2013年9月27日星期五

Homemade Flea and Tick Repellant for Pets

By Shanna Lea, on August 5th, 2013




Ticks Image by fairfaxcounty

Ticks Image by fairfaxcounty



If you find this post useful, please take one second to like, share, or tweet it. Thanks!


 


© 2013 Shanna Lea


Ticks are aggravating pests and I battled them for several years where I used to live.  It was hard to keep ahead of them and before long I had to resort to chemical based retail products on my dogs.  But I don’t feel those products are safe, so I have been looking for natural solutions.  I don’t have a tick problem at my new place, but if they show up, I am using this recipe.


These flea and tick repellant recipes use essential oils.  I only use therapeutic essential oils on my pets, not the cheaper brands.  My pets had reactions to the “cheap” essential oils and after researching and talking with a practitioner, who uses the oils for his clients, I learned that those cheaper ones are not distilled for purity.  Having directly experienced the use of both therapeutic and cheaper oils on my dogs (and myself) and seeing their reactions, I can only recommend the therapeutic oils.  I now use Young Living Essential Oils for all my essential oil needs. 


Homemade Tick Repellant for Pets


1 cup water


2 cups distilled white vinegar (ticks are repelled by the vinegar alone)


2 tablespoons vegetable or almond oil (both contain sulfur, which also repels ticks)


Put all the ingredients in a spray bottle and spray on the pet’s dry coat, staying away from sensitive areas (mouth, eyes, nose and genitals).


Homemade Flea Repellant


Use the recipe above and add 2 tablespoons lemon juice.


Or add a few drops of citrus oil or peppermint oil to the mixture.


Homemade Tick Repellant for Humans


For us, we can use the same Tick Repellant Recipe and add 20 drops of essential oil.  Ticks are repelled by Eucalyptus, Citrus, and Peppermint.  Mix the solution and spray on your clothes, hair and skin before going outdoors.  Reapply every four hours if you are out for long periods of time.  Remember to check over your body for ticks after returning home.



没有评论:

发表评论